Baltimore Art & Music Project (BaltimoreAMP) is an organization devoted to societal change through the healing powers of art, culture and music. Through dynamic programming, and the definition of art as an all-inclusive means for individuals to express themselves, the project aims to empower communities with the tools necessary for creating autonomous neighborhoods.
Futhermore, our mission seeks to:
"Provide opportunities for the community - and for young people in particular - to experience, participate in and create music and the arts as a way to strengthen , uplift and renew the spirit and well-being of the individual and the community".
BaltimoreAMP has over 16 years experience providing services to an inclusive and diverse demographic, with the focus on disadvantaged Maryland youth. Primarily the target population is economically and culturally impoverished elementary, middle and high school students and their families in Southeast Baltimore County.
As the only independent arts organization in Southeast Baltimore County, BaltimoreAMP offers children, teens and families a free/low-cost cultural resource and outlet in their community. Due to financial and mobility constraits, families in these areas have limited access to cultural activities and experiences....the arts are a luxury they can't afford. It is well documented that children who are exposed to, and participate in art and music are more likely to achieve in school, behave responsibly and respectfully, and have hope for the future. BaltimoreAMP seeks to provide opportunites for communities to experience and create art and music as a means of expression, achievement, community building and social networking.
During difficult times and dire circumstances, BaltimoreAMP seeks to create moments, moments of creative release that bring imagination, inspiration and hope through art and music. There is a universal response to the anticipation of an event or activity, an individual deserves to feel good about who they are and where they live. The arts become that healing power that fosters a sense of well-being and inspires action.
To date BaltimoreAMP has held more than 205 Underground Concerts for youth ages 14+, serving more than 18,700 young people and managing 258+ performing groups comprised of over 770 musicians. In addition, in less than five years, BaltimoreAMP planned and coordinated over 65+ community events for families and adults to help revitalize Dundalk's "Main Street" district, drawing hundreds of residents and attendees from the Greater Baltimore Metropolitan area and beyond to each event. BaltimoreAMP continues to provide unique cultural activity, "Creating a New Culture - through Culture - in Southeast Baltimore County.
BaltimoreAMP was responsible for designing, creating and implementing the installation of Dundalk's Gateway Bridge Sculpture - an arduous project that spanned 5 1/2 years and utilized the talents and services of hundreds of artists and volunteers (from Boy Scouts to corporate contractors).
Many local community service organizations and individual citizens have benefited - in terms of donated food, clothing, toys, artwork, performances, services and donations - as a result of BaltimoreAMP's signature "Artists Helping Others" outreach philosophy and activity.
Many of our young people - through participation in BaltimoreAMP programming - have been inspired to attend and complete college, further their musical and artistic talents and give back to the organization and the community. Through the partnership established in 2001 with the Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC), BaltimoreAMP has served as a successful community service off-campus work site and recruited and employed more than 40 college work-study staff.
Since 1994 some BaltimoreAMP accomplishments include:
- The Underground Youth Concert Series
- Created, supervised and implemented the CSX Gateway Sculpture - Dundalk, MD
- BaltimoreAMP in the Park Concert Series
- Theme Fest Family/Youth Events
- "Artists Helping Others" Outreach
- Shakin on the Main Street
- Community College of Baltimore County partnership since 2001- Off campus work-site for college work-study students
- Rosedale Alternative School - Work site for summer work program
- Presentations in Baltimore County Public schools
- Panelist for the 34th International Conference on Social Theory, Politics & the Arts held in Baltimore, MD 2008
- Partnership with Baltimore County Public Library to bring BaltimoreAMP programming to libraries county-wide
- Partnership with Dundalk Youth Service Center after-school programming at Dundalk Middle School
- Interviewed by Chief Researcher of the Japan Foundation for Regional Art-Activities
- Diverse art/music programming for youth at the Eastside Family Shelter
- Festivals include: Earth Day Festival; Summer Solstice Festival
- Partnership - LifePointe Community
Just an idea of a year in the life of BaltimoreAMP:
- April 5, 2009 - AFC Sugar Hill XC - "Adventures for a Cure"
- April 23, 2009 - Presentation Essex Library - Anime Club
- April 24, 2009 - BaltimoreAMP in the Park - Veterans Park
- May 29, 2009 - BaltimoreAMP in the Park - Veterans Park
- June 13, 2009 - O'Donnell Heights Health Day
- June 14, 2009 - Flag Day Concert - American Legion Post #38
- Rat Pack Mason/Dixon Ride to Benefit BaltimoreAMP
- June 22, 2009 - Hometown Heroes Awards - Renaissance Habor Place Hotel
- June 28, 2009 - Baltimore Women's Classic 5K - Baltimore Museum of Industry
- July 3, 4, 5, 2009 - BaltimoreAMP at the Heritage Fair - Ports America Tent
- July 3, 2009 - BaltimoreAMP at the Glass Grill
- July 11, 2009 - BaltimoreAMP at Pete's Cycle Triumph Show
- July 17, 2009 - Presentation at Mars Estates Elementary School
- August 8, 2009 - "Back to Woodstock" 40 Years Later! - Hard Yacht Cafe to Benefit BaltimoreAMP
- August 10, 2009 - "Open Mic" Catonsville Library
- September 4, 2009 - BaltimoreAMP in the Park - Veterans Park
- September 26, 2009 - CommUNITY Fest 2009 - Lexington Market
- October 4, 2009 - "Raven's Rally" - Hard Yacht Cafe
- October 10, 2009 - O'Donnell Heights Reunion Day
- October 22, 2009 - BaltimoreAMP at Essex Library (Anime Halloween Party)
- October 26, 2009 - Interview - Japan Foundation for Regional Art-Activities
- October 30, 2009 - Halloween Event to Benefit BaltimoreAMP - Glass Grill
- October 31, 2009 - Dundalk Fall Festival - Veterans Park
- November 5, 2009 - Dundalk Youth Service Center Presentation - Dundalk Middle School
- November 6, 2009 - Underground Youth Concert Series
- January 8, 2010 - Underground Youth Concert Series
- Februrary 5, 2010 - Underground Youth Concert Series
- February 26, 2010 - "My Big Fat Bawlmer Wedding" to Benefit BaltimoreAMP
- March 5, 2010 - Underground Youth Concert Series
- March 12, 2010 - Dundalk Youth Service Center Presentation - Dundalk Middle School
- March 19, 2010 - American Red Cross - Hometown Heroes Awards Breakfast
- April 24, 2010 - Earth Day Festival 2010/BaltimoreAMP 15 Year Showcase
- May 14, 2010 - BaltimoreAMP in the Park - Veterans Park
- May 21, 2010 - Dundalk Youth Service Center Presentation - Dundalk Middle School
- June 18, 2010 - BaltimoreAMP in the Park - Veterans Park
- June 27, 2010 - Baltimore Women's Classic 5K
- August 14, 2010 - "The Endless Summer" at the Hard Yacht Cafe - To Benefit BaltimoreAMP
- September 10, 2010 - BaltimoreAMP in the Park - Veterans Park
- September 12, 2010 - Presentation at LifePointe
- September 24, 2010 - Mother Seton Academy Presentation
- October 9, 2010 - O'Donnell Heights Community Day
- October 15, 2010 - Underground "Zombies in the Park"
- November 5, 2010 - Underground Concert
- November 12, 2010 - Eastside Family Shelter
- December 15, 2010 - Holiday Sing-a-Long with Dundalk Youth Service Center
- December 17, 2010 - Eastside Family Shelter
Click the BaltimoreAMP "Calendar" link for updated event activity